Re: [SpeechIO-203] speechd install help needed

Darxus wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Joshua Thomas wrote:
>
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > I'm attempting to install speechd. The use of this mailing list is my
> > last resort; I'm sure you all have better work to devopling speechd. In
> > any case, here's what happened:
> >
> > 1) Downloaded/installed festival & the MBROLA voices. I have RedHat 6.1,
> > so everything was RPMS.
> >
> > 2) Downloaded/installed speechd.
> >
> > 3) Festival works: echo "test" | festival --tts
>
> I'd be interested if you could tell me exactly what files you used for
> redhat.  I know exactly what it takes for Debian, since that's what I use
> (you can just do an apt-get install of one of the voices -- if you apt get
> install, it won't install a voice).

I installed: (all rpms)

festival-1.4.0-2
festival-devel-1.4.0-2
speech_tools-utils-1.2.0-1
festvox_us3-1.4.0.1
festvox_us2-1.4.0.1
festvox_us1-1.4.0.1
festvox_rablpc16k-1.4.0-1
festvox_kedlpc8k-1.4.0-1
festvox_kedlpc16k-1.4.0-1
festvox_kallpc8k-1.4.0-1
festvox_kallpc16k-1.4.0-1
festvox_en1-1.4.0-1
festvox_ellpc11k-1.4.0-1
festvox_don-1.4.0-1
festlex_POSLEX-1.4.0-1
festlex_OALD-1.4.0-1
festlex_CMU-1.4.0-2

and the speechd.tar.gz file

> > 4) Sending text to /dev/speech ie echo "test > /dev/speech, does not
> > work. Speechd and festival --server are running. I am using esd, but I
> > not been able to get speechd to work if esd is not running.
>
> I have seen this stuff before.
>
> Run speechd w/ a -f (foreground), & please paste the output to a responce
> to this email.

Output as follows:

Loaded speechd.sub.
String substitutions: 222
Checking for /etc/speechdrc...loaded.
Checking for /root/.speechdrc...not found.
Speech synthesis system = "festival"
(0) Attempting to connect to the Festival server.
IO::Socket::INET: Connection refused at /usr/local/bin/speechd line 317
Failed to connect to Festival server, attempting to load it myself.
Use of uninitialized value at /usr/local/bin/speechd line 314.
(1) Attempting to connect to the Festival server.
IO::Socket::INET: Connection refused at /usr/local/bin/speechd line 317
Waiting for Festival server to load -- Can't connect to port 1314 on
localhost yet (Bad file descriptor).
server    Tue Nov 16 13:35:08 1999 : Festival server started on port 1314
Use of uninitialized value at /usr/local/bin/speechd line 314.
(2) Attempting to connect to the Festival server.
Successfully opened connection to Festival.
Called use_festival_SayText.
client(1) Tue Nov 16 13:35:09 1999 : rejected from localhost.localdomain not
in access list

Hopefully this means something to some of you. =)

Thanks again,
Joshua Thomas