[SpeechIO-203] speechd install help needed

Greetings all,

I'm attempting to install speechd. The use of this mailing list is my
last resort; I'm sure you all have better work to devopling speechd. In
any case, here's what happened:

1) Downloaded/installed festival & the MBROLA voices. I have RedHat 6.1,
so everything was RPMS.

2) Downloaded/installed speechd.

3) Festival works: echo "test" | festival --tts

4) Sending text to /dev/speech ie echo "test > /dev/speech, does not
work. Speechd and festival --server are running. I am using esd, but I
not been able to get speechd to work if esd is not running.

TIA,
Joshua Thomas

(And appoligizes to Darxus for waking him up on #SpeechIO the other
night)