Re: [SpeechIO-145] "Tutorial on Linux Device Drivers"

Yeah, I have that book, but the copy I have is dated to the 2.0 series of
kernels, and _alot_ has changed since then -- specificly the kernel api,
which the book uses old, no longer supported method calls.

I used that book to write the first version of multipipe (which is really
ugly, but functional in a broken kind of way).  I had to skim through
a bunch of other device drivers from the kernel source to figure out the
differneces, but it wasn't impossible.

I did manage to crash my box a couple of times, and I made a bunch of classic
mistakes like forgetting to decrement the usage counter, so the moudle
coudln't be unloaded :0  but that's all addressed now, and you can load/unload
it at will.

It's still out there on bgw.org under the projects area...in case you're
interested in the driver code.  Is there finally interest for including
this in speechd?  Can I start working on it again? (i.e. will people be
interested in using it? -- I find it really hard to be motivated to work
on stuff like this otherwise) :-)

A bachelor is a selfish, undeserving guy who has cheated some woman out of a
divorce.
    -- Don Quinn