[SpeechIO-121] woohoo!! I can hear speech over my MP3s now !

the file I modified (from a debian package install) was
/usr/lib/festival/siteinit.scm, and I used the utt 1.0 t one.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 15:04:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: awb@drum.speech.cs.cmu.edu
To: Darxus <darxus@op.net>
Cc: festival-talk@cstr.ed.ac.uk
Subject: FT: volume control ?

 Darxus writes on 28 August 1999:
 > message from Darxus <darxus@op.net> to festival-talk
 > = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
 >

 > With esd I'm capable of using festival and an mp3 player simultaneously.
 > But mp3s are significantly louder than festival, to the point that I can't
 > hear the speech. The only volume control I've been able to figure out has
 > been hardware volume control in mp3 players, which also adjusts the volume
 > of festival, which doesn't help me any.
 >
 > I have not found a way to turn up the volume of festival.  Is it possible ?

You can globally increase the volume of all waveforms generate by
festival by adding the following to your siteinit.scm.  Put that in
the festival/lib directory, (where all the other .scm files are)
probably /usr/lib/festival/lib if you used the standard rpms.  Add the
following

(set! default_after_synth_hooks
   (list
     (lambda (utt)
       (utt.wave.rescale utt 1.0 t))))

This will maximises the volume within a wavefrom, this wont necessary
make all voices the same loudness (though it will be close).

Alternatively

(set! default_after_synth_hooks
   (list
     (lambda (utt)
       (utt.wave.rescale utt 4.0))))

will mutiply the waveform by 4 but this has the problem that it may overflow.

If you want X% of the maximum without overflow use the first example
and lower the 1.0 until you get an acceptable volume

Alan

Alan W Black                                email: awb@cs.cmu.edu
Language Technologies Institute             http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~awb/
Carnegie Mellon University                  tel: +1-412-268-6299
5000 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh PA, 15213, USA. fax: +1-412-268-6298