Re: [SpeechIO-12] speechd v0.39

Ok, the attached shoudl include my changes -- I held off on hte regex change
because we were talking about it not working...

from the last entry in the changelog:

mortis@voicenet.com
v0.46 11943 Mon Aug  9 13:02:22 EDT 1999
 Created initial makefile

 Added pod documentation to speechd and catspeak.  The make file now
 builds and installs man pages for catspeak and speechd.

 Implemented the functionality of the install in the makefile, and removed
 the install script.

 Implemented the functionality of the uninstall in the makefile, and removed
 the uninstall script.

 At line 181, I changed $path (which wasn't defined) to $fifo which is the
 correct behavior (I think).  This was brought to light by the fact that
 I added -w to the #! line at the top of the scripts :)

 Made numerous other changes necessary so the script would run with the
 '-w' cmdline switch, and the 'use strict' directive.  This mostly consisted
 of using 'my' where appropriate -- sorry if this breaks stuff, but its
 proper form to use '-w' and 'use strict'.

btw, if we decide to add in the kernel module, I'll probably change the
build process yet again -- since the kernel module would require other
stuff, I'd incorporate a configure script into it...for now I held off
because we're really just using install/perl and a few otherwise required
utilities...

lemme know if these changes are appropriate/good/wanted/etc...

"Perl combines all of the worst aspects of BASIC, C and line noise."
    -- Keith Packard <keithp@ncd.com>