Re: [SpeechIO-86] Some suggestions regarding speechd directories

you can just make two differnet targets in the makefile:

make install-debian
make install-redhat
make install-suse

and have the standard make install target detect the distribution (via
code like the bash example code given), and re-run make for the appropriate
install target.

that should be the simplest solution (imo)

"From a certain point onward there is no longer any turning back. That is the
point that must be reached."
    -- Kafka

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Darxus wrote:

> > > Good call.  Debian's got /etc/debian_version -- same deal.
> > Or then we could use INITDIR variable in Makefile like this:
>
> Nah, test for the files Michale & I mentioned.  I dunno if this'll work
> (really not familiar w/ Makefiles & how their syntax overlaps w/, say,
> bash)
>
> if (test -x /etc/redhat-release); then
>   echo "This is a RedHat distribution."
>   INITDIR=/etc/rc.d/init.d
> elif (test -x /etc/debian_version); then
>   echo "This is a Debian distribution."
>   INITDIR=/etc/init.d
> else
>   echo "I don't know what this distribution is, you'll have to deal manually."
>   INITDIR=""
> fi
>
> This could be quite broken, it should be tested -- and something needs to
> be done with that "else" to keep it from installing that bit when it
> doesn't know where it goes.  At some point I want to look at some of these
> directory structures & see if we can intellegently guess what's necessary.
>
> BTW, what about the simlinks in like /etc/rc3.d ?  Are they all the same
> in systems that use this basic structure ?  (what'd somebody call it ?
> SysV ?  I knew that once...)

> PGP fingerprint = 03 5B 9B A0 16 33 91 2F  A5 77 BC EE 43 71 98 D4
>             darxus@op.net / http://www.op.net/~darxus
>                          Far Beyond Reason

---
** (debug) Blackmail[20503] would have rejected this message for 1 reasons. **