Re: [SpeechIO-86] Some suggestions regarding speechd directories

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Josh Miller wrote:
> Just thinking.... there should probably be a way to escape that even if one did
> have the redhat-release file present.... like (also in shell scripting like
> way.... sorry):

Not a bad idea, although I believe it is generally just assumed by most
packages.  We should be able to automate it cleanly enough that the user
shouldn't need to get involved in that.

And more significantly, asking where an init.d directory is doesn't
necessarily tell you everything you need to know to make it work.  It
might not have a SysV style init.

But I have a feeling that we can do...

if (test -x /etc/rc.d/init.d); then
  INITDIR=/etc/rc.d/init.d
elif (test -x /etc/init.d); then
  INITDIR=/etc/init.d
else
  echo "I do not yet recognize the layout of your init files."
fi

Then copy the speechd start/stop script to $INITDIR, and simlink it to the
following files on all distributions that had one of the 2 above
directories:

/etc/rc0.d/K20speechd
/etc/rc1.d/K20speechd
/etc/rc2.d/S20speechd
/etc/rc3.d/S20speechd
/etc/rc4.d/S20speechd
/etc/rc5.d/S20speechd
/etc/rc6.d/K20speechd

I believe those 7 directories are the same on all SysV style init
systems ?  Or more accurately, I'm guessing.  Does anybody know ?