Re: [SpeechIO-12] speechd v0.39

The "d/l" thing can be solved with something like:

      $text =~ s/([a-zA-Z_0-9/]+)/$wordsub{$1} || $1/eg;

I'm really rough on my regexese, so I dunno if that syntax is right.
BTW, I was incorrect, substitutions currently will work on alphanumeric
strings, not just alphabetic strings.

The issue is, which characters would we want between the []'s.

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Kyle Burton wrote:

> This is another alternate, would it solve the 'd/l'?
>
>   while(($k,$v)=each %subs) { s/\b$k\b/$v/g; }

Thats a really neat way to do a brute force, pretty close to doing a
foreach $key in %hash.  Although if we were to go with that, I think it'd
be better to just do:

while(($k,$v)=each %subs) { s/$k/$v/g; }

> Hmm...maybe not, what if we build a search/replace string out of the keys?
>
> something like this:
>
> $search = join('|',keys(%subs));
> $text =~ s/$search/$wordsub{$1}/eg;

Now that one's got serious potential.  Didn't know you could do that.

Looked it up.  I'm getting warm fuzzies.

> "Perl combines all of the worst aspects of BASIC, C and line noise."

That is cute :)

Oh... noise.
/me flips through the camel book.
There it is, page 75, at the bottom:

tr [\200-\377]
   [\000-\177]; # delete 8th bit

Gotta do that.  Or should we strip all characters over 7 bits ?

(for those not familiar w/ this stuff, anything over 7 bits is generally
binary data, not text)

That doesn't look right... shouldn't it be...

tr [\128-\255]
   [\000-\127];

?