[Speech-6] idea for dropping lines problem

I know we've been doing this via a FIFO, but what if we did something
like the following:

----
#!/bin/bash
# this is a new catspeak
cat >> /tmp/speechlog
----

mod the perl script to take 1 line at a time, and feed it through the
pipe to festival, from a 'tail -f /tmp/speechlog'???

would that handle all the waiting and stuffs?  I know this would probably
fuxor any multi-process access, but it might fix our issue with loosing lines.

multiple process could interleave their lines of text, and you should be able
to see why this is bad...

I'm still pretty sure you can fix this with a device driver, and I'm still
looking into that...

"Finally Bill Gates is taking my OS seriously. Pity I can't return the
favour."
    -- Vermeer <mv@fgi.fi> (from http://slashdot.org)