switching speechd from a fifo to a socket

I've been fighting w/ speechd trying to switch to using a socket.  I think
I confused myself.

[20:30] <xeno42> UNIX sockets can be associated with a file in the file
system...

I was thinking Gareth meant ou could have a file that you could read from
/ write to that would be connected to a socket.  But the behavior of my
code made me realize that I can't actually read from / write to this thing
as a file -- I actually have to create a socket connection to it.  But
that's not what I want.

I want a /dev/speech that I can write to as if it were a file.  Does that
mean I *need* to use a fifo ?