maybe we don't want speechd multithreaded ?

from the perlipc man page:

       This server takes the trouble to clone off a child version
       via fork() for each incoming request.  That way it can
       handle many requests at once, which you might not always
       want.  Even if you don't fork(), the listen() will allow
       that many pending connections.

If we want everything serilaized anyway, and this thing queues
connections... ?