multithreading speechd

>From the perlipc man page:

       "And here's a multithreaded version.  It's multithreaded in
       that like most typical servers, it spawns (forks) a slave
       server to handle the client request so that the master
       server can quickly go back to service a new client."

It seems pretty clear that speechd will need to be multithreaded.  I've
been reading through code in the perlipc man page and have 1 question.

speechd uses an internet socket to communicate with the festival server.
Will a new socket connection need to be created for each fork of speechd,
or will all forks be able to write to a single socket connection ?

The answer might be obvious, but my experience with these things is quite
limited.