breaking a while 1 loop reading from a socket/fifo

well, I now know how to do it thanks to Gareth... it's in the sample unix
domain socket thing mentioned in the previous log file.

You may recall I was trying to figure this out before -- how to do a while
1 loop that stops when there's no more to read from a socket -- for the
speech POP3 thing.

           while (defined($line = <SOCK>)) {
               print $line;
           }