Re: how do I retriev a file via http ?

well with 'telnet host 80' you need to issue HTTP commands (you can find the
rfc for HTTP on www.w3.org ;) -- get is one of them.  if the document you
want would have been accessed as:
  http://host/ultramode.txt
then you could telnet, and issue:
  get /ultramode.txt
or:
  get ultramode.txt
and hit enter.  If it's accessable as:
  http://host/path/ultramode.txt
then you would do something like:
  get path/ultramode.txt
or
  get /path/ultramode.txt

or you could just use wget, or curl, or any of those utilities, and do
this:
  [user@host user]$ wget http://host/ultramode.txt

I preferr those utilitiles to trying to use telnet -- it's easier to save
off the content -- especially if it's not text.

Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
    -- D.E. Knuth